Thursday, August 4, 2011

Verger reelection decision due soon

Joanne Verger says she hasn’t yet made up her mind, but will make an announcement soon on whether or not to seek a fourth term in the Oregon Senate.

Verger– “I’ve given myself two more weeks and then I’ve got to decide. Can I service the large district as well as I want to service it? Not anyone else’s standards, but mine.”

Verger was essentially retired when she was first elected as Mayor of Coos Bay in 1988. She went on to serve two terms in the Oregon House, and then was elected to the Fifth District senate seat a decade ago. With 22-years in office and more than a half-dozen political campaigns under her belt, the self described moderate Democrat isn’t concerned about the physical challenges of another race..

Verger– “I’m not afraid, obviously this many years in public life, of a campaign. So, it really doesn’t have anything to do with that. So, it just has to do with what do I want to do on my second retirement around?”

Verger says if she opts not to run, she wants to give other Democrats plenty of time to prepare for the campaign.

No comments:

Post a Comment